The Filipino Professional Group (FPG-UAE) caters not only to a specific regional, sector or group of Filipinos.
It is basically comprised of Filipino Professionals who assist each other in achieving their dreams of being a registered professional in the Philippines that is also recognized worldwide.
Under one roof
The FPG-UAE is the umbrella organization for Filipino Professional Organizations in United Arab Emirates under the auspices of the Philippine Embassy. It is composed of nine-member Accredited Professional Organizations (APO) under six disciplines – architecture, accountancy, electrical, electronics, civil and mechanical engineering.
These organizations are, as follows:
- Institute of Electronics Engineers of the Philippines (IECEP UAE Chapter)
- Integrated Institute of Electrical Engineers (IIEE UAE Chapter)
- Overseas Filipino Civil Engineers Association (OFCEA)
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountant (PICPA Abu Dhabi Chapter)
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountant (PICPA Dubai Chapter)
- Philippine Society of Mechanical Engineers (PSME Abu Dhabi Chapter)
- Philippine Society of Mechanical Engineers (PSME UAE Chapter)
- United Architects of the Philippines (UAP Abu Dhabi Chapter)
- United Architects of the Philippines (UAP Dubai Chapter)
- Five more organizations joined from 2012 to 2014. These are
- Filipino Nurses Association in the Emirates/Philippine Nurses Association (FNAE/PNA), Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers (PICE UAE Chapter),
- OFCEA AUH Builders,
- Filipino International Teachers in the Society (FITS-UAE)
- Emirates Association of Respiratory Care Practitioners (EARCP)
Today, the group is run by an Executive Committee composed of 26 appointed officers by different professional disciplines in UAE.
It was founded on March 13, 2009 by 10 professionals –
- Engr. Antonio E. Morales, PSME
- Engr. Tomas Dela Cruz, PSME
- Engr. Jethroefel E. Ramboyong, IECEP
- Engr. Ernesto Refugio, OFCEA
- Engr. Jayson Pacua, OFCEA
- Engr. Ricardo N. Napenas, IIEE
- Edgar Bacason, PICPA
- Romin Reyes, PICPA
- Arch. Rico V. Ado, UAP
- Arch. Arny Lana, UAP
The former chairmen were
- Engr. Antonio E. Morales, 2009 to 2010
- Arch. Rico V. Ado, 2011
- Engr. Ernesto Refugio, 2012
- Engr. Jethroefel E. Ramboyong, 2013 to 2014
The present chairman is Williard Maquirang of PICPA.
According to Maquirang, the FPG-UAE was established in response to Executive Order 835 of the Republic of the Philippines – a program to conduct a Special Professional Licensure Board Examination (SPLBE) for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) given by the Professional Regulations Commission (PRC).
“The objective of this program is to enhance OFW’s competitiveness at the job-sites by professionally and officially recognizing their respective competencies thru regulated yet globally accepted licensures. Every year more than 400 OFWs take part to this program over which around 30% of the examinees have successfully passed,” he further said.
“In pursuit to professional excellence and globally competitive OFWs, FPG UAE will continue to take part in the government programs. In addition, we will conduct other related activities such as seminars, trainings, job hunting and sports activities and uphold a high spirit of leadership to maintain good relationship and camaraderie among Filipino professionals,” he added.
Records speak that more than 2,800 OFWs took part in the SPLBE since 2009. Of this number, FPG already produced 850 new registered professionals. “FPG helps Filipinos to uplift their career and enhance competency thru passing the licensure Board Exam.”
In 2009, 70 passed the SPLBE. In the succeeding years, the numbers of passers are, as follows: 163 (2010), 86 (2011), 137 (2012), 130 (2013) and, 264 (2014).
All 13 member organizations of the FPG produced a passer. There were also 7 topnotchers. They are
- Top 1 – Janice De Belen Custona, Certified Public Accountant
- Top 1 – Richard Pural, Registered Master Electrician
- Top 2 – Irene E. Yanuria, Nurse
- Top 3 – Lester Umang, Architect
- Top 4 – Jefferson Roy Turado, Architect
- Top 7 – Edgar Magbanua, Architect
- Top 9 – Geraldine Maliwanag, Architect
FPG is transparent with all the financial reports and activities involving the group. Needless to say, but Maquirang emphasized, that FPG’s greatest achievement is assisting Filipino professionals achieving their dreams to become a registered professional that is recognized worldwide. To date FPG-UAE produced 850 new registered professionals.
The Men and Women of FPG
The Executive Committee is composed of the following:
- Chairman – Mr. Williard Maquirang, CPA
- Vice Chairman – Engr. Mansueto Gillo Jr.
- Secretary – Arch. Ronaldo Quijana
- Treasurer – Engr. Analiza Binondo
- Asst. Treasurer – Rey Francis T. Viloria
- Auditor – Mrs. Salvacion Cruz Mananghaya, RN
The members of the Executive Committee:
- PROFESSIONAL TEACHERS FITS President Miriam Paglinawan-Sergio
- PROFESSIONAL TEACHERS FITS Coordinator Nestor Frilles
- CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS PICPA President Antonio Gimena
- CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS PICPA Coordinator Agnes Robles/Edgar Bacason
- CIVIL ENGINEERS OFCEA –‐ DXB President Maria Fe V. Dayot
- CIVIL ENGINEERS OFCEA –‐ DXB Coordinator William Icaranom
- REGISTERED NURSE PNA/FNAE President Maricel Villanueva
- REGISTERED NURSE PNA/FNAE Coordinator Divina B. Digap
- REGISTERED MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PSME–‐Abu Dhabi President Engr. Jeffrey P. Uy
- REGISTERED MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PSME–‐Abu Dhabi Coordinator Mel A. Sinag
- REGISTERED MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PSME –‐ UAE President Engr. Francis Anthony M. Uy
- REGISTERED MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PSME –‐ UAE Coordinator Engr. Jose Bayani S. Leduna
- CIVIL ENGINEERS PICE–‐UAE President Louie James T. Bendanillo
- CIVIL ENGINEERS PICE–‐UAE Coordinator Charmielyn A. Librero
- REE AND RME IIEE–‐UAE President Darius Lotino
- REE AND RME IIEE–‐UAE Coordinator Rocky L. Feller
- ARCHITECTS UAP–‐AUH President Kirby A. Zalameda
- ARCHITECTS UAP–‐AUH Coordinator Arch. Ronaldo Quijana
- ARCHITECTS UAP–‐DXB President Ronald Salcedo
- ELECTRONIC ENGINEERS AND ELECTRONIC TECNICIANS IECEP–‐UAE President Lloyd Allen Ondona
- ELECTRONIC ENGINEERS AND ELECTRONIC TECNICIANS IECEP–‐UAE Coordinator Norberto Tanquinzon
- RESPIRATORY THERAPY EARCP President Noel Suapengco Tiburcio
- RESPIRATORY THERAPY EARCP Coordinator Judith Tenorio
THE BLOGGER. Ulysses Espartero is a journalist, speechwriter and publicist who traces his roots from two Philippine jewels – Laguna and Antique. While in Dubai, he enjoyed his expat life documenting the struggles and victories of migrant workers in the Gulf Cooperation Council states. In 2014, he released Precious Gems in a Desert of Gold, the first and only coffee table book about Filipino achievers in the United Arab Emirates. Connect with him on facebook.