Marco Imbang Umgeher, a 14-year-old Filipino-Austrian skier whose mother is a native of Sebaste, a town in Northern Antique, is making a name of his own in the competitive European winter sport by bagging victories in national and international stints in Austria – turning him into a young athlete worthy of emulation by the young people of this province.
Marco, who has been an enthusiastic skier since he was 5, practices several times a week with his trainers, doing coordination exercises in Winter Slalom, Giant Slalom and Super-G. His instructors allow him to temporarily let go of classes during the race season.
He was first noticed in a ski race in Rohr im Gebirge, a village in Wiener Neustadt-Land district, the industrialized part of Lower Austria. There, he took the first spot in a slalom race of the Schilowsky Kidscup Ost. He earned numerous awards in competitions in this speed sport in Austria and Switzerland not only for himself and for his family but also for his country and eventually, professionals from the ÖSV, or the Austrian Skiing Association, came to acknowledge his interest.
Marco’s biggest supporters are his parents, Hannes Umgeher and Gemma Francisco Imbang-Umgeher, and older sister, Jessica Imbang Umgeher.
Marco’s achievements bring honor and pride to the home town of his mother because, most importantly, he holds the distinction as the only Antiqueño if not Filipino, who at a very young age, continue to excel in this sport overseas.
SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS OF MARCO IMBANG UMGEHER
Skier Marco Imbang Umgeher’s significant achievements for the last five years include the following:
- 3rd place, giant slalom race, National Championship (Lackenhof; Ötscher, Austria)
- 1st place, slalom race, National Championship (Hochkar)
- 5th place, Supr-G race, National Championship (Lackenhof, Ötsche)
- 1st place in the total rating of the national championship
- 5th place, ski cross
- 5th place, giant slalom race, 11th International UNIQA KIDSTROPHY (Zauchensee, Austria)
- 6th place, ski cross race
- 4th place, giant slalom race, at the 10th International UNIQA KIDSTROPHY (Zauchensee)
- 1st place, giant slalom race (Lackenhof; Ötscher)
- 1st place, giant slalom race of Schilowsky Kidscup (Semmering)
- 1st place, slalom race of Schilowsky Kidscup Ost (Rohr im Gebirge)
o0o —————– o0o
THE BLOGGER. Ulysses Espartero is a journalist, historian and book author who traces his roots from two Philippine jewels – Laguna and Antique. While in Dubai, he enjoyed his expat life documenting the struggles and victories of migrant workers in the Gulf Cooperation Council states. In 2014, he released Precious Gems in a Desert of Gold, the first and only coffee table book about Filipino achievers in the United Arab Emirates. Connect with him on facebook.